NEWSLETTER SUBSCRIBE

Data collection in Flanders

In the first semester of the URBANREC project, the OVAM has been focusing on the collection, validation and processing of the waste data in Flanders.

In total, 308 municipalities have reported detailed data on the production and reuse of municipal solid waste, such as residual waste, bulky waste and the selectively sorted fractions which are in the scope of the URBANREC project (e.g. cardboard, wood, hard plastics, furniture etc.). The reported data was used to calculate Flemish waste statistics. As the data are available at the municipal level, it is also possible to distract waste statistics at local level, e.g. the IMOG Region. 

At the Flemish level the total amount of household waste is decreasing as well as the amount of residual waste. Due to a long history of selective collection about 70% of the total household waste is source-separated collected. The other 30% is the total residual waste (     ). This is composed of the residual waste (kerbside collection), the bulky waste (kerbside collection or via civic amenity sites) and the street waste (public waste bins and street-sweeping waste). Figure 1 shows the evolution of the different fractions of residual waste in the period 1991-2015. In 2015 the Flemish citizens produced only 22kg/inhabitant of bulky waste.

Figure 2 Evolution of residual waste, bulky waste, street waste and the total amount of residual waste (1991-2015)

The decreasing trend of residual waste and bulky waste is the result of the sustained efforts since the early 90s to sensitize the Flemish population to prevent residual waste and to selectively sort out as much as possible for re-use, recycling and composting, due to a combination of policy measures taken throughout the years, by the municipalities and other actors involved in the waste policy. 

In 2015, the amount of bulky waste decreased with 18%. This is among others the effect of the obligation of the municipalities to charge the population for the collection of bulky waste (the pay-as-you-throw principle) and a tight supervision during the collection of the bulky waste in order to refuse recyclable waste that are selectively collected in the same civic amenity site.

» Author: URBANREC

» Publication Date: 01/12/2016

Download

» Source:

« Go to Technological Watch




This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation program under grant agreement N° 690103